- To preserve and conserve extremely fragile tropical eco-system i.e. sholas and grasslands of Nilgiris.
- Development of landuse plan for forest area as well as cultivated areas on the basis of slope levels and other climatic, ecological considerations.
- Conserve soil and water to increase productivity of the land by predominantly using vegetative methods and changing the cropping pattern.
- Promote non-land based economic activities to uplift the poor people and to ensure environment protection.
- Economic up-liftment of tribals in isolated locations, settlements.
- Manage the human pressures on eco-system through comprehensive human settlement policy and discourage migration.
- "Area based Approach" will be given top priority. Integrated plans shall be prepared for all watersheds and high priority watershed shall be chosen for treatment.
- Use of scientific interventions will be encouraged i.e. application of Remote Sensing, etc.,
- Promotion of Non-Conventional Energy sources i.e. Solar, Hydro, Bio-gas, etc.,
The activities of Hill Area Development Programme are focussed not only on Forest, Soil Conservation and Horticulture as the Core Sectors but also for the sectors meeting the socio-economic developmental needs of the district.